Thursday, September 4, 2014

This summer's greatest misses (2014)

Some of my favorite albums from the 80s were those where the group, rapper, or singer went over their greatest misses.  Songs that could have and should have been good.  But they weren’t.  They ended up buster.

You’ve seen a lot of my greatest hits on the blog.  Trips and adventures that went well, that the kids loved, and that I would recommend.

Here are my five greatest misses this summer.

Motown Hitsville Museum- Detroit, MI- I made Motown mix that we listed on the way.  As I pulled up, there were several problems.  The first was it is just two houses put together on a busy boulevard.  Only street parking on the busy thoroughfare was available.  When  I went to cross the street, the light wasn’t long enough, and a teen hot roder gunned his engine and scared my one slow walking kid.  Once we got there, we found that the museum only offers GUIDED TOURS, which last about an hour.  As someone who has gone on several guided tours for free in museums I paid to enter, this is an altogether bad idea.  Finally, they had two or three senior citizen groups that had reservations, which are recommended by the museum (but not mentioned anywhere on their website).  Though Motown was important to the American history, the museum isn’t appropriate for kids.

The Zoo and Aquarium at Belle Isle- Detroit, MI- The zoo and aquarium are only open certain days.  I missed the days they are open (maybe two or three times a week).  If you are going to promise the kids a zoo or aquarium, you have to bring it.  Check first on when it is open.

Tiger Game for 4 year olds- Unless your numbers are 1 to 1, taking kids before they are 7 is a fool’s errand.  Here is why:  they have questions; they need to use the restroom; and they need to have the game explained.  Unless you have 1 on 1, you won’t be able to do that.  There will be a lot of whining and gnashing of teeth.  Get your numbers down to 1 to 1 or wait.

Dad, what is a run?


MOCAD- Detroit- You’ve read my railings already modern art in general.  To briefly review, you cannot touch any art.  It’s not clear what the art means.  It looks like you can touch it.  The people there are snotty (about their art, I guess).  Bad idea with kids.


Zingerman’s- Ann Arbor- In theory, I love everything about Zingerman’s.  The way they treat their employees.  The eclectic feel of the interior.  The trendy way you order.  Except, it really stinks with kids.  There is no real kids menu, so kids’ sandwiches still cost you $12, plus milk and chips.  The food takes forever to get out to you.  The food also is too complex for most kids’ palates.  There will be a day when all three kids can appreciate a $15 sub.  That day is not near.

Kevin, how did we just spend $80 on sandwiches and chips?


So..these are my disrecommendations...hope they help you avoid some of my mistakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment