Sunday, August 3, 2014

Halloween in August? Yes and Why

Do I complain about the over-commercialization of my favorite holidays?

Yes.

Do I sigh when I see Halloween and Christmas decorations out in August?

Yes.

Do I also make myself “part of the problem” by going out on Thanksgiving night to get fantastic bargains on Christmas gifts and other things I need?

Yes

I am torn on preparation, buying things, and many things regarding holiday celebrations.

Do I think you should consider getting your kid hooked up for Halloween in August?

Yes.

Why?

It comes down to the kids now being able and interested in designing their own costumes.  They have
definite ideas and that is good.  Before this year, my boys would take whatever (more or less) that was handed to them.

My daughter, though , always wanted very specific things for her Halloween costume.  This year, it is Elsa from Frozen.  The coolest part about the whole dressing up thing is that your kid can put his/her mind into creative ways to make their chosen character/creature come to life.  This year, that visualization did not align with whatever Target, Party City, or Costco had in mind.  One is example is my son Max's desire to have a Captain America shield to go with his Iron Man costume.

Guiding kids through how to turn their vision into reality is a great precursor to how to bring arguments to life (by thinking them through, using resources, and carefully assembling).  If you start this process in mid September, school will be in session.  It will be harder to get things.  Timelines will be tight.  Visions will have to be cut short.  Not cool.

So, this year, we decided to let the kids begin thinking about these things on the weekend before they went back to summer camp/pre-school (after spending a month with me, adventuring).  It worked great.

Backorders, difficulties, special requests, and other complications were able to be addressed.  For example, Chloe wants a cape/shawl to go with her Else costume.  Because it is August,  she can ask one of our extremely talented family members to help sew what Chloe envisions.  She wants little snow flake patches.  These can be identified and procured.  The costume can fulfill Chloe’s vision.  Nice.

We also can read reviews of the costumes (instead of quick buying in a store).  Max wanted to by a Skylander.  The reviews online said the mask was heavy and made it hard for kids to breathe.  We were able to steer him to a better rated (and just as cool) Iron Man costume.

It also leaves you time to think about how you decorate the outside of your house for Halloween.  Lights, pumpkins, ghouls, and goblins can all be a part of the drawings and plans.  Another avenue for the vision->planning->procurement->completion cycle.


Yes, is weird to be penning a column on Halloween in August.  I accept that it seems early to do it.  However, I want the kids to get used to the process of bringing what they envision into reality, so I think it is worth the acceptance of decorations out a little before I am ready to see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment