Monday, May 5, 2014

Legos (and why your kids should have them)

I will admit I was slow on the uptake.  I generally am in life.  I started liking Journey in the 2000’s.  I found the Beatles in the 1990’s.  I found Smokey Robinson in the 1980’s.  I still don’t get Oakley Sunglasses.  Who wears those?  Athletes?  Professional volleyball players?  I really don’t know.

Also, this may sound like a commercial for Legos.  I apologize.  I don’t really get super geeked up about toys.  My general philosophy is a parent should get what a kid needs to expand their minds or whatever interests the kid (and will get used).  Everything else is a waste of time and money. 

Anyway, when my daughter was growing into the gorgeous girl she is, I thought Legos were something my kids were not built to like.  My twin boys were too little to even consider them.  Fast-forward to Chloe’s seventh birthday when a smart mom bought her Lego “Friends.”  When walking down the Lego aisle before, 

I felt like I was taking Max and Will into a library (no books about anything they liked).  Similarly, there were no Legos that Chloe liked.  They were all robots, starships, and cities.  Pretty much a boy in a library feeling.

Now, it’s on.

She and her neighborhood friend spent two straight hours on a sunny afternoon putting together a giant house.  And..you should have heard the conversation.  It was collaboration, conversation, critical thinking, and close reading all wrapped into one fun situation.

Despite my reservations, I bought Max and Will (twins, age 4) a basic Lego set like this for their 4th birthday.  Similar results.  I woke up from a long sleep in (I had to chaperone prom the night before) to find Max’s amusement park.  He had about 300 Legos built on one building plate.  His explanation is too detailed for me to understand OR to detail here, but it was extensive.  They love Legos.

Want some research?

Okay..this first study is from Lego, so hold up the caution flag, but still interesting.  This is a less specific, less biased study.  This one explores the long term benefit of Lego play.

The engagement, conversation, and interest from my kids has been off the charts.  Creativity?  Check.  STEM connection?  Check.  Fun?  Check.

I’ve joined the Lego swap to try to save myself some money.  The sets are way too expensive, especially for a cheap skate, but, man, it seems to be worth it.

Also, I'd follow the Lego age recommendations.  Those seem pretty accurate.

My kids also did not love Duplex, really liked the basic set.  If I think about how fun it is to build with basic blocks (not Duplex), that is pretty understandable.

Even if you have girls and you feel like this might not be for you, find a way to get yourself connected to some Legos.  I give it my whole-hearted recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment