Wednesday, May 7, 2014

University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Unguided Tour

University of Michigan, Ann Arbor Tour- https://www.umich.edu/

Ages- 3 and up

Cost- Free

Location- 500 S. State Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 USA

Parking- There are several places to park around campus.  Most of them cost $2 to $3/hour.  Here is the info.


Places to eat nearby- tons of options on campus, Dominick’s Pizza, Original Cottage Inn (Italian and Pizza), Raja Roni (Indian), Jerusalem Garden (Mediterranean), and Washtenaw Dairy (ice cream)

Why to go there: Look, when I tell people I’ve been taking my kids on college trips since they were 2, they look at me like I am some deranged individual.  Am I trying to push them into college?  Am I forcing them down the road I took?  I am pushy?  Overaggressive?

In fact, those reactions were so bothersome that I just stopped telling people.

The truth was when Chloe (7) was young, we had all summer, and I did not know what to do with her.  

What has free, big, interesting, and full of safe, wide open spaces?  Well, a university, of course.  Several friends also purchased her book about the University of Michigan (about football games and the school), so she had been introduced to the law quad and the diag pretty early.  She actually talks about the time when I had to change her diaper in the UGLI when we go down.

Now, it is an annual right of passage for my kids.  Here are parts of campus we try hit: Undergraduate Library, Law Quad, Law Library, Union (see where President Kennedy announced the Peace Corps), Diag, President’s House, Ross School of Business, the tunnel where kids kiss and get married, Angell Hall, and the Ross House dorm.



I’ve really enjoyed letting the kids run around that central area of campus, taking in the ivy, the trees, and the green grass.  I try to get them to eat some mind bending food afterwards.

So, no.  They don't all have to go to U of M to be successful in life.  But, yes, I do like them thinking college (like Tiger games and museums) is fun and a place where they could be comfortable.

Be careful:  Less energetic without students, but also less confusing.  Take snacks.  If your kids MIGHT need a stroller, bring one.  Map out your trip first (here is an interactive one).


Summary:  Great place to do a college visit.  Lots of other attractions.  Recommended for the summer or fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment