Sunday, June 8, 2014

Detroit Tiger Baseball Games (and more commentary about baseball)


Ages- 4 and up (I tried when Chloe was 2 and 3..pretty rough)

Cost- Lots of different options (starts around $20/kid for decent seats)…I try to go on the budget nights and sit in the bleachers.  With five people, you have to try to save every buck you can.

Location-  Comerica Park: 2100 Woodward Ave, Detroit, MI 48201 (313) 962-4000

Parking- Lots of options there too…I like to buy my parking with my tickets.  We’ve done that twice now.  Very convenient.

Other attractions nearby- King’s Books, Detroit Institute of Art, GM Renaissance Center (enjoy all of the new cars, open for kids to pretend drive) on the bottom floor, LaFayette Greens Urban Garden, Fox Theater, and Belle Isle.

Places to eat nearby- LaFayette Coney Island (the original and my favorite), places to eat inside the park (there are many), Cheli’s Chili Bar, Hockeytown CafĂ© (part hockey museum, part restaurant), Bucharest Grill (Middle Eastern and European), and Foran’s Grand Trunk Pub.

Why to go there: Baseball is pure Americana.  I think so. George Will thinks so.  You should think so.  The season takes place during a time of the year (hopefully) when the pace settles down a bit and you can enjoy
it.  Through high school and college, my love of the game greatly decreased because I A.) went to school in a place with no games nearby and B.) my team (Tigers) were horrible.  Living in Chicago for six years in the shadow of Wrigley Field I liked it again; when I moved back to Michigan in 2004, the Tigers’ renaissance happened.  I go 3 or 4 times a year, and I listen to or watch many of the games.  I enjoy that the game is paced so conversation can occur, and both people won’t miss anything.  I also like that most baseball stadiums are in the core of the city.  Baseball, at least in Detroit and Chicago, draws a diverse and lively crowd.  I think those are great for my children to experience.

For Tigers’ games themselves, ownership has attempted to make it a family experience.  They are listed here.  My goal of every baseball game is for my kids to walk away and say, “baseball games are fun.”  We eat a lot of food, experience the attractions, and watch some of the game.  Chloe, who has been to games since she was 2, has a pretty strong understanding of the game.  Her favorite player, Prince Fielder, got traded last year and she was bummed.  We went about picking her new player.  Summer is fun; baseball is fun.  I feel like the best way for my kids to get this message is to go to a game.

If there is no major league baseball, I’d suggest minor league or college games.  Many minor league parks have playgrounds in the stadium.  We go to Traverse City Beach Bums games when we go to Northern Michigan.  You get many of the same benefits, with a more casual and inexpensive atmosphere.

What to do before hand: Watch games and work with baseball cards.  The games are easy.  The cards are hard.  If you have any common cards, let the kids have at them.  If not, picking up a few recent cards so work fine.  They are available in every drug store and Target across the country.  Have the kids pick out a favorite player (preferably a position player, so they’ll be sure to be able to see them)..then watch some games.  Not full games, but explain runs, scores, balls, and strikes.  All of this will allow the kids to understand the game.

Be careful:  Go home when the kids are spent.  Even if it seems like a loss of money; it is not.  Each year will allow you to increase the amount of time you spend at the game.  Walk around.  There is no rule that says the kids have to watch every inning.  Look at statues.  See how fast you can throw a baseball.  Also, it is expensive.  There are a few ways to mitigate the cost, but save up for one game and maximize the experience.


Summary:  Summer fun they’ll remember.  Baseball love and knowledge is lifelong.  Find a game and get to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment