Saturday, June 14, 2014

What To Do About College Savings

Part of What To Do With Kids is figuring out how much to save for their college funds.  Much of what I say below, about increases in college costs, is based on research from the College Board.  Before getting started, I want to make clear that I am a high school principal, so I work with students on college funding every year.  Right now, in Michigan, the top public university is about $25,000 per year (cost of attendance, which includes room, board, eating, driving home, and so on).  My daughter will be in the class of 2025.  I went on the MEFA site to see how much it would cost to go to college when my daughter gets there (in 2025).  I am pasting the results below.



Okay, I thought.  A cool $41,000 per year, raising up to $45,000 in her senior year.  Maybe I need Michigan data.  So, I found some Michigan data.  It is pasted below.



Wow…I’ve thought that this was crazy as a principal, but now I see I will need approximately $200,000 total for my daughter to attend 4 years at the University of Michigan.  If she needs 5 years, it will be $250,000.  For all three kids, I am looking at approximately $600,000 of costs.  To make that happen, I would need to save about $2100 per month to fully fund college.

Ouch.  We could talk about why college costs are going up.  Time’s done several studies on it..here’s one.  Then there was this locally in Michigan about college administrators giving themselves massive bonuses for just doing their jobs..here is an inflammatory article about it.  Here’s the sad facts.

Professors are not making more money.  College degrees are worth less.  Question is…where is all the money going?  In conversations with dozens of college professors over the last decade, it comes down to two things.  1.)  Administrative jobs and administrative salaries.  While the rest of the world was hunkering down, trimming their administrative staff, colleges continued to raise tuition and hire more administrative support to make their jobs easier.  If “The Office” was a college, Dwight Shrute would have an assistant to the assistant to his assistant branch manager job.  He would just have to sign papers and play Candy Crush Saga.  The assistants to his assistant would do his work for him.  2.)  Facilities- whether it is a student recreation center, a new basketball arena, or a new lab building, public universities are spending money to keep up with the proverbial joneses at a rate unheard of in this century.  Some are needed.  Some are not.
If you asked someone who has $100,000 of debt coming out of undergrad, he or she likely would say it is not.

Where does that leave us?  Here’s what we can do:

  • Vote for politicians who freeze tuitions
  • Look for college with low admin to student ratios
  • Maximize high school options for college credit
  • Save like crazy
  • Oppose any reforms (from state or federal governments) without matching funds because those reforms almost always are passed on to students in the form of tuition increases
  • Support a moratorium on building unless it is funded by private dollars or a decrease in administrative positions or salaries
  • Support more public funding for colleges

Every time I want to take the kids to Disney again, buy something expensive, or generally anytime I consider spending a lot of money..I think of that number: $600,000.  Probably will be here before you or I know it, and it’s going to be more expensive than a rational person could ever imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment